Proper watering at the right intervals is critical in establishing your new plants and protecting your investment. There is no sure formula for watering trees and shrubs as every yard is different and too many variables exist, i.e. volume and pressure of your system, type of soil, grade, aspect, etc.
Here are some guidelines:
- Newly planted trees need to be watered directly into the root ball – twice a week when very dry.
- Stick the end of the hose into the planting hole and ll it up.
- It requires 1 to 2 seasons for root systems to grow out of the ball into surrounding soil.
- Newly planted trees need to be monitored closely for the first 3-5 years.
- Irrigation systems (unless it is drip) will not get water to the roots.
- Be careful about increasing the time on a watering zone, as it may be watering shrubs, trees, and grass on the same zone and overwatering can be a problem.
- Mature trees need 1 inch of water per week under normal conditions. In extreme drought, they need 2 inches per week.
- Put out a rain gauge to check amount of irrigation as well as natural rain.
- Evergreen plants; boxwoods, arborvitaes, spruces, hollies, should be watered once a month throughout the winter months, Nov-Feb, when air temperatures reach 40° and above to prevent winter burn.
- Monitor rainfall and temperature. When in doubt, pull mulch back to check soil moisture and water if soil is dry to the touch.
We were very pleased with the service and particularly the knowledge & professionalism of your staff. We would certainly recommend you.
We are very pleased with the plantings suggested by and picked out by Mike. The men arrived on time to plant the boxwood and witch hazel tree; dug out the stump and cleaned up. They were pleasant and helpful – we couldn’t have asked for a better team.
We were very pleased and impressed with Dan and his team. We love our new trees and garden.
Thank you so much for all the information you provide – the watering information, the emails and the flier. I read it all and have learned so much. My magnolia trees look surprisingly healthy considering the way they looked when I first called.
Kevin Seger provided expert advice and recommendations about tree maintenance and removal. He listened to my needs and provided a thorough and affordable proposal. On the day of the job, I was very impressed with crew leader, Dave and his team (Felix & Adam). They were professional, efficient, hard-working and very neat about clean-up.
An outstanding job on the four trees and clean-up after the work and removal. We would be happy to recommend your services to everyone – the best tree service we ever have had here in St. Louis.
Kevin was able to come out the same day I called and a crew was out the next day! Great prompt service. I was not at home when the work was done but results show they did a fine job.
Everyone came through as usual when I needed the crew to come back & take out the balance of the fire blight. They did not have a bucket the first time and were so nice and professional about coming back again.
Thank you again for responding to our urgent need after the storm took down our 2 trees & deposited them across our driveway. Your crew, as always, did a fabulous job. Professional, courteous & it is a pleasure doing business with your company.
We appreciate your knowledge and professionalism. Your employees are prompt and courteous and willing to do whatever needs to be done to complete the project. Cleanup was great.