Top 10 Reasons to Mulch
Spring brings flowers, budding leaves, swift storms – and the smell of fresh mulch. We spread a soft blanket of rich-colored chips around street trees and landscape features. As a routine practice, we may simply focus on the fresh appearance and sometimes forget the essential benefits mulch provides for our plants.
Top 10 Reasons to Mulch
- Ground insulation. Mulching keeps plant roots cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Soil moisture retention. Watering needs may decrease during hotter dryer summer months.
- Aesthetics. Fresh mulch in the landscape brings cohesion to your planting beds. A good edge between the mulch and grass adds a sharp crisp edge and makes both look better. Shapes such as squares and circles or sweeping edges further define your garden style.
- Weed suppression. Awesome.
- Nutrient supplementation. Decomposing mulch adds nutrients to the soil which plants use to photosynthesize and maintain good color and flowers.
- Root invigoration. Research shows plants with mulching develop finer root hairs and thus can absorb more water and nutrients. As a result, the tree is better equipped to defend against pests and diseases and be more resilient to other environmental stressors.
- Concealment of unsightly features. Mulch covers up undesirable landscape features such as landscape lighting wires, sprinkler heads, shrub trimmings, etc. keeping the landscape nice and neat.
- Erosion prevention. Rain drops can dislodge and transport soil particles. Mulching on top of soil absorbs the rain drop velocity and reduces runoff.
- Separation between tree trunks and grass. Lawnmowers and string trimmers that get too close can wound the base of the tree, leaving an opening for insects and fungus to enter.
- Prevention and relief of soil compaction. It reduces foot traffic. Also, it provides an ideal environment for insects and microorganisms whose tunneling and feeding creates more pore space – and thus more oxygen – in the soil.
There are several types of mulch for different applications. Here’s a list so you can make the right choice for your gardening needs.
Give us a call for any of your planting, bed maintenance, and mulching needs.
We were very pleased with the service and particularly the knowledge & professionalism of your staff. We would certainly recommend you.
We are very pleased with the plantings suggested by and picked out by Mike. The men arrived on time to plant the boxwood and witch hazel tree; dug out the stump and cleaned up. They were pleasant and helpful – we couldn’t have asked for a better team.
We were very pleased and impressed with Dan and his team. We love our new trees and garden.
Thank you so much for all the information you provide – the watering information, the emails and the flier. I read it all and have learned so much. My magnolia trees look surprisingly healthy considering the way they looked when I first called.
Kevin Seger provided expert advice and recommendations about tree maintenance and removal. He listened to my needs and provided a thorough and affordable proposal. On the day of the job, I was very impressed with crew leader, Dave and his team (Felix & Adam). They were professional, efficient, hard-working and very neat about clean-up.
An outstanding job on the four trees and clean-up after the work and removal. We would be happy to recommend your services to everyone – the best tree service we ever have had here in St. Louis.
Kevin was able to come out the same day I called and a crew was out the next day! Great prompt service. I was not at home when the work was done but results show they did a fine job.
Everyone came through as usual when I needed the crew to come back & take out the balance of the fire blight. They did not have a bucket the first time and were so nice and professional about coming back again.
Thank you again for responding to our urgent need after the storm took down our 2 trees & deposited them across our driveway. Your crew, as always, did a fabulous job. Professional, courteous & it is a pleasure doing business with your company.
We appreciate your knowledge and professionalism. Your employees are prompt and courteous and willing to do whatever needs to be done to complete the project. Cleanup was great.